View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

Why would the rear tire and dropout bearing wear more, are the loads from extra bursts of acceleration that substantial? What's an FCD? (fuel use instrumentation?)

I'm willing to put in an ignition cut off and play around with streamlining the bike, within what my limited fabrication skills are capable of creating. Since it sounds like bikes are even worse than I thought aero-wise, even lower quality aero is probably a huge improvement. My goal would be 100mpg with a larger bike if I can reach it since that's when it starts to pay for itself, even with summer only commuting, in a fairly short period of time. I'd want to make the fairings easily removable so I don't have to always ride that way. (for instance if i got say some 400cc dual sport I could have it on to putter the highways yet remove it to actually go camping since the aero stuff might get in the way... of the riding experience if not other things) Really wish I had SFC figures so I could know what RPM range it would want to run in through, rather not change that if I can help it.