View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #66 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I'm a fan of an hybrid monocoque tub/tubing rollcage-roof. Like these Porsche 962 knock-offs:

The VLC implements this very well, with the cast and sheet tub and the way they carry the tubing over a central rollover box. Those struts they hang the suspension on are beautiful.

I'm less and less interested in making my own car as I see their progress. Although if their in-wheel suspension/disk brake is available as an after-market part, I could use that in my Type II panel van.

Various places I've seen mention of 150mph top speed and 250cc. I assume those are two different drive trains?

I see it's now being billed as a 2+2. Could it could work with rear doors if it had two swivel bucket seats in the back?

Back in the 70s I said I would just drive VW Beetles until I could trade up directly to a UFO (skipping over the flying car). I guess this is close enough. If I got a job now, I could be ready to trade up.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave
It looks like there are still a bunch of bent and welded tubes making up a fair bit of the structure of the car in the above photo.
That's crushable space, front and rear; it's a very safe car, especially in the 40% offset front collision. It's intended as a global car with lots of local content. So ferinstance, in Nepal they could have little gold tassles and lots of polychrome painted panels.

In the rear I'd go with a little pickup bed and dual rear tires.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-17-2013 at 03:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
XprizeRoadTrip (04-17-2013)