View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
bp944
EcoModding Lurker

The 944 is a long term project (ls1 swap and such) and will hopefully be an absolute beast on the track. It might even be decent on gas 30mpg if driven gently. Right now though, it needs brakes and a lot of TLC. As far as motorcycles, I just got my first bike 2 weeks ago and it currently scares the crap out of me. I won't be taking it to the track anytime soon.

I'm not planning on spending much on it but I need a daily driver and if I could autocross it, that would be wonderful. To be honesty, a lot of this is bench racing. Most likely I'll get a small truck and run it at an autocross or rally cross event 3-4 times for fun.

Issac, two major concerns with airbags.
1) They are really expensive ($1600 for the kit before labor) especially when you compare it to a 2-3" drop kit. If I really wanted to go ghetto, I could cut the springs and get a flip kit and drop it 2/3 inches but the ride would suck. I'm not out to spent $1000 to drop the car. I'd be tentative to spend over over $300 to drop it.

2) Being able to drop the car for long distance highway driving would be awesome. The only issue is camber. It seems like its a lose-lose situation. If I'm sitting at 4" inches riding around with a normal camber and then drop it for the highway, I'm suddenly putting a lot of wear on some tires that are at a pretty extreme camber.

It seems that dropping it with airbags is in no way financial savvy. It would be awesome but the cost of the system and quick wear on the tires would be a killer on the wallet.