View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #46 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Two words explain this: jaded reviewers.
I feel like I should step in and defend my ilk here

Like niky, I do a bit of writing. Some of you might even have read my stuff before, since I'm a writer on GreenCarReports. This was my take on the Mirage from there: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage: Brief Drive Of NY Auto Show Debut

...and I reviewed it for my UK outlet too: 2013 Mitsubishi Mirage Review - carbuzz | carbuzz.co.uk

Now perhaps I'm not old/spoiled enough to be considered jaded (I've never reviewed a Porsche or Ferrari, for instance), but I wouldn't say it makes my take on the car any less relevant. I like to think each is at least fairly balanced, and I've angled each review to its expected audience too.

IMO, the Mirage does three things very well: Value, space and economy. If any or all of those are the be-all and end-all of a vehicle to anyone here, then go nuts - you'll be more than happy with the Mirage.

However, that doesn't automatically mean it's a good car. It's a good car at some things, but particularly in Europe the competition from other small cars is fierce. And while few match its economy-per-money ability, most people buy brand new cars on finance making any price difference fairly insignificant over monthly payments.

Once you take into account just what a broad spread of options is available for similar money, then you can't prioritize the things it does well at the expense of the things it doesn't. And what it doesn't do well is handle, steer, deal with big bumps (it's fine over smaller ones) or be refined. I wouldn't call it jaded to express those concerns.

But then what do I know, really? I'm just a guy who's driven lots of cars...