View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Flakbadger
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob215 View Post
Hi,

I just joined this forum and I'm trying to learn as much as I can here. First off, I have a 2012 Scion xD, with a 1.8L 2ZR-FE engine and a 5 speed manual. This engine has dual VVT-i.

How do you get 40+ on the highway? The best I've achieved is 35mpg using cruise control at 65, in 5th gear. I live in South Florida so its flat everywhere. I frequently have to do 30 or 40 mile trips on the highway. What am I doing wrong?
WARNING: TEMPORARY THREAD HIJACK.

First off, you'll have to slow down. Speaking from personal experience with my Ultragauge, I struggle to break 40MPG when driving 65MPH, but can reach into the mid 50s on level ground when driving 50MPH. As the OP said, MPG is a strict function of gas-pedal pressure.

Second, are you using any sort of Scangauge or Ultragauge? Does your car have an instantaneous fuel display? If the answer is "no," then you'll have to take my word for it; my car (and all cars) get utterly abysmal MPG when accelerating. Mine gets between 5-12 MPG when accelerating through first and second gear, even if I'm pretty gentle with the pedal. If my all-highway trip was short, that acceleration would affect my overall trip MPG pretty severely.

Finally, hills are actually beneficial to MPG, contrary to popular belief. I can coast down hills in 5th gear and the injectors cut off--meaning infinite MPG--if they are steep enough. Even if they are mild, the downhill slope allows my vehicle to reach into the 70MPG range with light pedal pressure, and 300MPG in neutral.

Your all-flat-ground, 65MPH cruise-control MPG is not that surprising in light of these facts. Try driving 55 and see what that does for you, and if you want to get really serious, get a fuel gauge. It does amazing things for your understanding of MPG.

~Matt

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
The Following User Says Thank You to Flakbadger For This Useful Post:
Rob215 (04-22-2013)