View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
We used to buy the 1963-66 Plymouth Valiants (slant 6s) with plugged up PCV valves cheap, since the POs thought the motor was gone when they used a quart of oil in less than 400 Miles. Unplug or replace the hose and clean the valve out with gasoline and oil consumption went to 1500 miles a quart or higher. A lot of the grunge was due to parrafin based oils and poor oil change habits from people who were just stupid.

I am hoping the wifes GDI Sorento does not give us problems, but if so the intake manifold is fairly easy to get to for a valve cleaning, but we would probably just get rid of the car. I have been trying to get her into something more economical, but she thinks the height of her seating position gives her an advantage in accident avoidance, and she is paying for her gas, but most of the time she just rides with me in the Fiesta when we go somewhere together.

I did notice the oil in her Sorento gets a lot more dirty than the oil in my Fiesta. I might drop the change intervals to 5k instead of 7.5k.

regards
Mech