View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Not sure if we are ready for the outlawed concept of mail order cars?
Heh. I work at a dealer, but nowhere near sales! There's always someone willing to undercut the rest. You already can buy from anyone. Just a few years ago, there were 10 dealerships in the area that I'd be able to run to for a part. Now two of them are closed, but it's not like there isn't a lot of local competition. When I got the Bobsled in 05, I went to the factory website, told it what I wanted and clicked "get a quote." I got 9 calls that day. Only 3 were serious and I bought from the farthest of them even though the closest was the one that had it on their lot. Hell, last week we had a car in for an inspection sticker, and the guy had bought it in Texas and had it shipped here!

The franchise laws are there to prevent the factories from competing directly with the factories' own local agents. Using them to keep Tesla from selling cars directly is just plain wrong. Trying to use them to trump federal bankruptcy law (with GM & Chrysler) was just as wrong.

I like your ideas, rmay, and would add dropping requirements for supplemental restraint systems. They add cost, complexity and hazard in an effort to reduce the consequences of not wearing your seatbelt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%