View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
nemo
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post

The three things I noticed/heard today: 1) A weird sound (maybe the fans?). 2) Occasional engine sound (knock?) 3) brakes squeaked a couple of times even though they are new (replaced all 4 in 2012), maybe it was just the heat?, it didn't happen every time.
Number three not likely related to the grill block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
The second thought was an ability to know if the fan is on. Like a little LED light that comes on when the fan is on. It could be really inconspicuous, since it probably won't be on very often, but would be useful, so you could know when/how often the fan is on. Unless of course an UG/SG has the ability to show fan on/off, then that would be the most useful
The LED fan light is a good idea as the UG does not directly show fan on/off. One thing I would recommend is that after the UG install is that you let the engine idle until the fans come on note the temp and also the temp at which they shut off. Also see if you can find the fan operating spec on line to verify what you observed. Some stock gauge only go outside of center if there is a significant temp increase and even though the fans are coming on may not rise above the center.

I live in South Florida, in the summer the cycling of fans at a stop light is normal on my car with the AC off, even without grill blocks. Several of my recent cars actually run warmer when the AC is off, this is cause by the continuous operation of the fan with the AC on. Even had one car the fans would run for a short period of time after the car was shut off.

All that to say in order for you to know what is outside of normal for your car you need to know what is normal.