View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #61 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
This looks like a problem that is environmental. I don't see this kind of corrosion where I live which has little snowfall and salt on the roads. I do use my pressure washer to clean the undercarriage of my cars probably twice a year and the cars (not the truck) sit in my garage when not in use. I know that is not an option for many here.

With the unavoidable environmental issues many here face, if I was in the same situation, I would probably pull my wheels at least annually, in the spring when things started to warm up enough where freezing temps became less of an issue. Then I would take my pressure washer and thoroughly clean the whole undercarriage of my vehicles. When I got my truck, I did this and found dirt accumulations on the undercarriage, especially on the steel brake lines going to the rear brakes. Combined with severe winter weather and road salt, the dirt holds the salt and moisture and allows it to corrode everything much worse than it would if it was cleaned fairly frequently.

While it would not solve the problem completely, it would at least reduce the cumulative effects of the causes of corrosion. On my truck I actually had to mechanically scrape some of the accumulations off the get all of the crud off some areas, even after pressure washing.

A scotch abrasive wheel on an electric drill would clean the rotors up nicely at the same time as the wheel removal-pressure washing was done.

regards
Mech