Thread: hello there.
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
syty
Highway Creeper

Opossum - '97 honda civic HX
hello there.

Howdy,

Started off as a lurker without a username, registered today to show support!

I guess I'll start with the car,

Found it in Virginia for a fair price. it was in excellent body condition, the paint was oxidized but I'm good at repairing that stuff. I honestly knew nothing of the HX other than "holy cow MPGs" and that showed brightly when I got home to tear apart the engine for a tune up and found all sorts of little gremlins I should have caught.

For one, the intake is off an EX (i think someone at a shop stole the original), there goes a bit of my lean burn ability. And the spark plugs were installed by some yoho with an impact wrench. I had to extract two plugs with a flute tool and retap the head. The second bit, which I should have realized when I bought it was that the head gasket was blown.

Fixed it up last weekend and its been running like a top. So far I've been averaging 35 mpg but thats because I'm a lead foot.
I learned a lot about how the engine works, and how well it relates to a few toyota projects I've worked on. This car truely is dependent on your pedal position, its been great fun to shoot through some turns, but it suffers heavily when driving out of lean burn because the cam duration is a tad more aggressive as I understand it.

So far I'd like to get the throw on the shifter down a bit, get a projector retrofit in the lamps, fix up a few suspension bits, and then work on getting those MPGs up.

Personally, im a car enthusiast. My project car is an 86 MR2. but thats so far away from completion its not even worth mentioning.
As for this car, I've ALWAYS wanted a 6th generation civic. its the last iteration of Hondas suspension prowess and it really shows in comparison to my 2004 civic LX. I'm very happy with this car and I think It will be in my life for many years to come

Hope to become active here, Thanks for having me.

Last edited by syty; 04-23-2013 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: ADD... really bad ADD