View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bergi85
EcoModding Lurker

Red - '97 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 28.07 mpg (US)

Lexi - '00 Lexus RX300
90 day: 18.89 mpg (US)
New to the forum and to eco driving

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and like the title says eco driving as well. I just picked up a 1997 Honda Civic cx. I have previously owned a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse and that was NOT driven in a way to get the best MPG (But I was in HS and thought I had the coolest/fastest car there, so i drove it like that). I currently drive a Lexus RX300 AWD and have used that as my DD, I will be going back to school this year for my Master's and don't want to be getting 17 mpg driving. So that is why I picked up the Civic. Plus it is nice not having to pay 60 bucks to go 200 miles.

Currently I am getting only around 22 mpg, I have done a few things after buying the car:
Changed oil - full synthetic
Changed air filter
Replaced spark plugs
Replaced PCV valve
Cleaned TB
I will be replacing the O2 sensors this weekend. I can smell that I am burning rich and I hope that the O2 sensors help that. I also plan on cleaning the grounds. I heard that will help a bit as well. I removed the roof rack that was installed and I will be ordering an antenna delete plate as well.

Also I have to take out the ridiculously big sound system that is currently taking up my trunk. Problem is the previous owner took the factory flooring out and built in the subwoofer and housing. I do want some flooring, so i have been scouring the salvage yards for a factory floor.

If anyone has any other tips feel free to let me know. I am very new to this and am open to suggestions. But as of right now, I can't see myself making any crazy aero mods.