View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
drmiller100
Master EcoModder

the first rendering is idealized.
when you go to actually build the thing, reality steps in.

The fundamental driver's height is a hard number. You cannot really drop below it and stay comfortable - I spent a lot of hours trying to cheat the height down, and you can't do it.

The driver's door is another hard and fast thing. there is a maximum length the door can be and still provide side impact at a reasonable weight. It is pretty standard in coupes made in the past 25 years.

The door post is set by the driver's seat. Which means the body line is between the windows is set by the driver's seat.
The width of the greenhouse is all going to be the same between cars, although I figured out how to "cheat" it narrower.

I wanted more length to the car for passenger comfort, so my car is longer. I wanted still a great turning radius - their car is going to have issues with turning radius I believe, and I think the front suspension will be 'ugly' out exposed, but we chose different design paths.

I am glad my car was the first of these - they are all going to look very similar as the design has to follow function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drmiller100 For This Useful Post:
brucepick (04-25-2013), freebeard (04-27-2013), some_other_dave (04-25-2013)