View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I'm pretty sure every vehicle I've used my UG in showed 9-12% throttle at idle. There may be another gauge option that you can select that will start at zero, but you should be able to get the same results with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
3 #3 rpms do not always determine mpg, being in Neutral at a stop light means that the car (if auto trans) is not always trying to move forward wasting energy, so yes it would be spinning less weight in Neutral.
This. When not moving, GPH is your only way of measuring fuel consumption, RPM is just how fast the engine is spinning. Putting the trans in neutral reduces the load on the engine, so it will usually spin slightly faster but use less fuel.

Your UG speed vs speedometer speed is pretty much universal. Car manufacturers set up the speedometer to show a couple MPH high (probably so you can't sue them for you getting a speeding ticket). The UG shows the real speed that the computer uses. I've used a GPS to verify that the UG speed is more accurate than speedometer speed. Another test you can do is comparing a trip odometer on the UG to your car's trip odometer, they should be closer than the speeds because the odometer goes off the real speed as well.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread