View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #33 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
The limits on the G2's efficiency at low speed are both physical and functional. The RPM is lower at the same tpeed than with the G1, and the CVT will keep the revs at 1100 no matter how slow you go.
It is the change in ICE efficiency ( weather or not RPM changes at all ) that has the ability to give a net +MPG even with the penalty P&G always gives to energy cost at the same average speed.

Quote:
At low speed air resistance is way less than at high speed, and so is the penalty for changing speed.
The Penalty is still there ... always there ... the principles are still the same at any speed ... the act of P&G has to result in some other part of the system ( like the ICE ) improving more than the act of P&G itself gives you that penalty... there has to be a bigger + somewhere than the P&G gives a - , in order for it to be a net +.

Quote:
So I see no problem in my P&Ging at low speed.
Neither do I ... I never meant to indicate that I did.

Nor do I see a problem with anyone P&Ging ... it's their drive they can drive it anyway they like ... and if their goal is to travel the same distance at the same average speed while consuming less gallons to do it ... sometimes P&G will help them ... other times it will hurt them.

I think it is ultimately better for them to understand how and why it helps and how and why it hurts ... that way they are more able to make the best choice for a given set of conditions.

Quote:
if you look at my record you will clearly see the point where I learned to reduce the use of the hybrid system.
That is the kind of over generalized one sided suggestion I disagree with.
For multiple reasons ... as touched on previously.

Quote:
As you said, it will always depend on circumstances.
Yes that part I agree with ... it is a known and tested fact.

It is how I myself prefer to tell people about HEV system use and P&G use.