View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Regarding your goal stated in the original post (40 MPG) I would say its doable but don't get too far ahead of yourself. Take things slowly. Do one thing at a time. Research mods before you do them so you understand the benefits and risks. Perhaps most importantly, keep good records. You're off to a good start in the mid 20s. The path to 40 is a bunch of small steps of 1 or 2 MPG (or less).

I'll agree with oilpan that a newer turbo would probably help quite a bit. I'd have to look Ito it a little more to see what your options are. One easy option might be a junkyard turbo off the common rail 5.9s (mid 2000 model years). That wouldnt be a bad option and shouldn't be too expensive. A better option might be a turbo of the industrial 5.9s of the same era. That turbo would be better suited to the lower rpms you will run. The 5.9s in the Dodge trucks spin a lot faster than the off highway engines, primarily to show a high HP rating, wheras industrial engines want lots of low end torque.

Like oilpan said, as long as you're talking all mechanical turbos, the swap is pretty easy to do.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (04-28-2013)