View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
mattsk1
EcoModding Lurker

Skimoble - '10 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 39.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I heard somewhere a long time ago that every 1psi low you are, that's 1% lower MPG. So if you gained 10psi you should gain 10% mpg. Can't say if that's true, but interesting food for thought.

I'm running 5W-30 instead of 10W-30 and haven't seen any difference. It seems to only help on startup because when the engine is warm the viscosity is the same (30).

Try more aeromods. I drive pretty normally, verging on the aggressive, and while I have a higher-displacement engine than stock it still manages 18% over EPA. Something's going right (and it's probably not the oil viscosity).
I am starting to run out of ideas for areo mods that make a difference. I do not want to drill holes in my car's chassie. Some mods I have under consideration are a air dam, rear wheel skirt, and Partial Belly Pan. These are alot more involved than removing side mirrors, slapping on hub caps and slapping on duct tape on my lower grill. Lowering my car and getting a boat tail is not under consideration for areo mods for me. I might do a partial boat tail.