View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #337 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Yeah, I needed a bit more juice and/or coffee, and the cold pizza I brought for lunch didn't get eaten until I got home after returning the rental van - about 6pm! And I got sun burned on my face and arms...

I took a walkaround video that I have not seen yet - I'll upload it to YouTube later today.

In general, folks were very interested and once they heard some information about the CarBEN EV5 project, they asked some good questions; as well as surprise that there are electric cars at all already on the roads. Some people asked "will it have windows" - but this was because they didn't see the subtle recesses, and when I showed the inside, they realized that of course, it will have windows. A few other folks thought it was a solid piece of foam and were surprised to see the inside, let alone the battery bays and the cabin air exhaust vents, and the hood area, etc.

Many people wondered about the cost of electricity to charge the battery, and several mentioned the "long tailpipe" argument, and when I could discuss with them the several countervailing points. A few folks were very interested in the open source and creative commons aspects, and about what financial support options I have considered.

A lot of kids were very interested, and a couple had some very good questions. I got two young adults telling me about an awesome new engine or something that was perilously close to a perpetual electricity generator.

The one thing that I did tell many people that I was *expecting* to hear pushback on is the entry through the back door - and nobody objected to it. I did make it clear that there were be a small aisle down the right side and the hatch door would be a roof. One very young child wondered about the ~16" step up onto the floor - and for good reason. It would be a daunting height - but he also suggested a solution of having a step extend out to make it more workable.

Once they saw the back and how the taper is supposed to work - most people seemed to "get it".

This is an approximate recreation of the presentation slideshow I had running on my iMac: http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/20...struction.html ... which was little hard to see given the reflections of the gorgeous sunny day we had!

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 04-28-2013 at 03:26 PM..