View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Faulty knock sensor

Edit: Hopefully, this is finally resolved. My check engine light came on, giving me a Faulty Knock sensor code. My mechanic wanted way too much to fix it. Another said that I just needed an engine treatment, my knock sensor was fine, but my engine was knocking. I had them replace my timing belt and ten days later the light was back, but my car was running rough. They wanted $266.80 for a "Valve clearance adjustment" and $124.23 to replace my spark plugs and wires. I did the spark plugs and wires myself and then the knock sensor, but it was still rough. I spent many hours following up on this thread, one on cartalk.com, and another on SubaruForester.com, as well as trying to research, when I went back to the place that did my timing belt and asked them to make sure that it was still on right.

They told me that some part of the timing belt kit had been faulty and they fixed it for me. I just wish that it had not happened before I fixed the knock sensor, or while I was in summer school.

Original post:
I decided to take my car to get its oil change and have them check out my air conditioner on my way to school and hope that they would do something about my problems locking my driver's door besides tell me that everything was fine.

My check engine light was on and my Ultragauge screamed at me for the half-mile drive. It only would have taken me a moment to get the code, but believed that the mechanics would insist on inspecting it or whatever they do--for a hundred dollars, apparently.

They say that it is a faulty knock sensor, so now I am trying to track down my paperwork to see if my repair plan will cover it. I called the dealership and they told me to drive over.

Yes, let me drive fourteen miles from my mechanic to a dealership with a check engine light.

My mechanic said $475. Autozone has one for $78.99 and according to this video: , it only takes moments to install.

Last edited by Xist; 07-06-2013 at 05:17 PM..