View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Stop putting it in Neutral, your engine cuts fuel any time it's over about 1,200 RPM in gear with the clutch engaged, so by putting it in neutral you are using fuel to keep the engine turning.

It's almost impossible to find Low Rolling Resistance tires in the stock tire size, so that right there is going to give you a small hit in mileage, but my VX has 233,000 miles as well with non LRR tires and I'm getting 47mpg or better with mostly short trips.

Ethanol in your fuel will also kill your mileage in the VX, the higher price of Premium should be offset enough by the increased mileage to make it worth while, if it doesn't you are only out a buck or two.

Thermostat, there is a ~180F and a ~192F thermostat that most auto part stores carry, they are both listed as stock parts, the 192F is the proper stock part.

Stock sized exhaust will extend the life of the o2 sensor and help with mileage.

Some VX's had piles of dealer options like mud flaps, A/C, passenger side mirror... each one of those hurts your mileage a little.

Motor oil, 0W 30 works great in the engine! it also works great in the transmission, the transmission takes regular motor oil, NEVER GL5 gear oil, owners manual tells you to change transmission oil every other year, I have 0w30 and let it go longer because it's synthetic, but I haven't found anyone who's selling a Honda civic who remembers changing the transmission oil, so there is a possibility it's 20 years old!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
jlk16188 (04-30-2013)