View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Uh, GI Joe.....My understanding of HHO aside (It's a galactic waste of time), have you considered the liability ramifications of the shop teacher playing with a high electric current device to generate a potentially explosive gas (boom & fire) using ramshackle plumbing, and hardware, in a vehicle that people are going to take to the public roadway in?

Granted, risks can be minimized, but, if things go horribly wrong, how would you explain that to people (administrators & parents) that you were experimenting with a hydrogen generator inside the engine compartment of a car? Is it worth the risk?

Most people are woefully ignorant about aerodynamics, you could do a ton of good there by researching that and applying some modifications to a car to test. Also, driving habits are a huge area for fuel efficiency to be gained, simply teaching your students how to apply the knowledge of a BSFC curve to their daily driving routine could save an honest 10% in fuel economy with ease, whereby an HHO system can't possibly return anything and has the potential to do a lot of damage.

I was raised by parents who are very cautious when it comes to liability issues, I guess it has been rooted in me as well. If I found out my son were taking a class in school in which the teacher wanted to experiment with hydrogen gas in an automobile, I'd pull him from the class toot-sweet and ensure the principal and superintendent knew the potential risks and zero rewards of HHO generators under the hood of a car.