View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #53 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I may have mentioned most of this somewhere on here...

My dad has a Focus SFE and used to work for a guy. I do not know what happened to the friend, but my dad lost his job, started his own company, and hired his former boss, who did not have a vehicle at the time, so my dad bought him a used truck. I do not know what it is, just big, heavy, damaged, and still not as big as he had wanted. Then he drove it around instead of doing his job and making deadlines. After a couple of DUIs, my dad took it back, and now it is sitting next to his house, a hundred thousand miles later, with most of the loan left to pay. When I went up to build a fence over Christmas my dad used the truck instead of the Forester, which I had not enjoyed using for that purpose, and that was when we learned that the tailgate was broken.

Loading thirty cinder blocks over the side of the truck was not fun, but at least it did slightly better on the ice patches. I believe that both my father and I laid down after unloading the truck.

I do not know how you can drive something that inefficient a hundred thousand miles and not rethink things, but I think that I would have happily put a hitch on my Subaru and kept everything accessible--and protect the interior of my car!

When I complained, he offered to use his car--a 2,013!

My dad also had a very difficult time backing the truck once empty, up a slight incline, on frozen ground.

In the Army, we find it easier to just push HMMWV trailers short distances.