View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
1gen Neon Kammback/Hatch conversion

So I've been planning to do this for about a year now, just finally getting serious about it. Still not 100% sure how I want to implement it to the final stages, but here's the goal:

-Follow template to improve aerodynamics
-Have full functional rear view, as good as factory
-Fiberglassed to body, make it look less... "duct-taped"
-Fully functional lifting hatch
-Add no weight, possibly reduce it
-Increase insulation properties

So, here is my progress to date.

Used the template to get the general shape, then took off 1" for the top layer of this insulation foam.

Good bracing to keep it strong until fiberglass comes down. Copied the same design 3 times, allowed curve of body to dictate curve of top this way. Connected these with glue/screws to secure them well together.

Marked center and where the 3 braces would go for glue and screws

Glued, Screwed, and threw some weight on it to make sure it holds good form and push on the ends where screws wouldn't work. If you can tell, there is a steep angle on the end to help mold to the body better. Probably shape that a little further still, too.

Back view. That's the glue I used, made for this material.

Here's a close up of the adhesive squishing out the sides. It doesn't dry very fast, but seems to turn into what I can best describe as old chewing gum under a desk.

Here's a shot from inside the cab, drivers seat looking back. I'll be cutting back some and putting in a ~4x x ~4 foot window. This will be a part of the hatch conversion. The rear will also get a window. All similar to a Prius hatch, you could say.

So, that's it thus far. I still need to build the sides and attach them, then get the back together. I think I'll get a layer of fiberglass down on it at this point to keep form and strength, then start cutting and making the hatchback.

The trunk itself will come out, as well as the factory rear window. I'll be using acrylic for better insulating and less weight (plus, easier to work with in this kind of customization!). Still trying to figure out how to do the trunk part... hinges, attachment, seal, even the materials to use (thinking good plywood would be easiest).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-30-2013), Cd (11-24-2014), Mira (05-01-2013), Piwoslaw (05-01-2013)