View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
hypothetical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSkyline View Post
I was thinking of a hypothetical situation today. What if I were to build a street legal drag truck, and rather than putting a spoiler on it I used an aerocap that also functioned as a spoiler? Do you all think it would help the fuel mileage and rear downforce?

I know you are all probably against gas guzzling trucks and racing but thats why this is hypothetical
It's one of those 'it depends' kind of situation.
Power-to-weight ratio tends to dominate in drag racing unless you're talking about Top-Fuel,where 300 mph is obviously impacted by drag reduction.
The 'aero' kit on my T-100 added 820-pounds over curb weight, and allowing for the weight addition and stops along the trip route,worked out as 40% mpg benefit.So your cap it certainly going to help your mileage.
As to drag racing,even though I was 300-pounds heavier than stock,I out-accelerated the stock pickup and reached a higher velocity as well,and this was on damp salt which was costing other normally-aspirated cars 13% in top speed.
So I think,that if you have the power,even in a 1/4-mile,that you'd probably outrun your present truck.