Thread: Aero stealth
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Aero stealth

One of the fringe effects of a fully aeromodded vehicle is that it produces a very weak return on street radar systems. Most vehicles have a flat front and rear, exposed windshield wipers, and a large flat radiator behind the grill that produces a large echo on radar units. An aeromodded vehicle is all curves front and rear, with windshield wipers tucked away out of the wind, and with its radiator hidden behind a rounded nose and grill block, so most of the radar beam gets reflected elsewhere rather than back at the sending unit. I read that the 1950's Porsche (a curvy, very aero car with no radiator) were also hard to pick up on radar. I recently had the low radar return of my car brought to my attention when they set up one of those "Your speed is __" units on one of my usual drives. It lights up and starts displaying the speed of most cars when they are several hundred feet away from the unit. The aerocivic has to get about 50 feet from the unit before it starts showing my speed and if any other vehicle is anywhere nearby it shows their speed rather then mine.

aerohead (05-04-2013)