View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #81 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Well, I feel like the first phase of this project is nearly done!
A few weeks ago I looked at my bank account and realized that I had saved up enough to order the last of the lithium batteries, battery charger, battery management system, LDC screen that plugs in to the battery management systems CPU box and an amp meter shunt, all of the parts are designed to work together and communicate via a CAN BUS network, so as the CPU hub sees a cell or two in the pack reach full charge it can tell the charger to slow the charge rate and the BMS can start bleeding off power from cells that are done charging, the CPU hub can also connect to the half speed pin on the speed controller so if the battery pack gets discharged to low it can put it in a "limp home" mode.

The battery pack is a GBS brand ~48v 100 amp hour pack, the batteries are stamped as being 320 watt hours each because the voltage is really slightly higher then 48v, I bought the rest of the parts from www.ElitePowerSolutions.com and was pretty pleased with them, not a lot of interactions with anyone from the company, but they did double check the specs on my order because I already had some of my batteries so my order looked a little odd, they did charge $25 extra for shipping the lithium batteries but that seems pretty standard and everything showed up looking great!

Next step is to finish designing the battery box, I wanted to wait till I had all my parts before designing a box around them, as it turns out there is space inside the battery box for the charger, so that will be on board and fully enclosed.

I plan to have my electric motorcycle finished and on display at the Midwest Renewable Energy Fair in Custer WI June 21-23rd if anyone would like to check it out in person, I already told Ben Nelson that he can take it for a ride, so I hope he has nice things to say about it!

After I have the bugs worked out of it the plan is to get bids on building a kit to sell.