View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I love this story, thanks for sharing it.

I was driving a Subaru Impreza STi a few years back when my job changed and my commuting miles took a big jump upwards. Considering its performance the STi really doesn't do too bad in the MPG department, but I was still buying a heck of a lot of gas. I paid off the STi (which they will have to pry from my cold, dead fingers, sorry ecoModders ), and bought a Honda Fit. Went from ~22MPG to ~38-40MPG, woot! The money I saved in gas covered the car payments and insurance. I own it outright now too.

So congratulations! And keep minding those pennies; they add up.
That was also a switch from 22 mpg on premium and 38 mpg on regular, correct? That is huge difference to the wallet.

I test drove a Honda Fit before we got our Mazda5. We liked the Fit and loved the amount of room it had, but we needed seats for 6. While there are only four of us, we have Duke, our 70 lb boxer mix. He would fit in a Fit, but we would not be able to get much else in there. We talked about a roof rack for trips, but decided the extra seats would come in handy when people come to visit us. We do pay on the Mazda5 every month, but I couldn't find anything reliable enough for the wife to drive. We traded in a 88,000 mile 2006 Hemi Durango 4x4 (I almost cried!!!) to get the Mazda. We bought the Mazda new, for a multitude of reasons, but mostly because the sticker price was only a few thousand above the used ones with 50,000+ miles sitting next to it. Plus, the one we bought was last year's model and we didn't pay anything close to sticker!! So, the Durango got a solid 15 mpg, 11-13 in town and 16 highway and we almost doubled that with the Mazda's 23 in town and 29 highway. I think that is awesome gas mileage for a vehicle that seats 6.

If I get orders to Hawaii or Japan and can only ship one car, we are getting rid if the Metro. If I get stateside orders, I am keeping them both until the wheels fall off. No more trading vehicles in!!

Congrats on having two cars and no payments!