View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I may just be wierd, but I always found it better to concentrate on understanding what was being said than try to take notes. Most people would have pages of notes, while I'd write down a formula or two and the assignments, and I generally came out close to the top of the class.

Alternatively, you could try taking a course in shorthand.
Many years ago I was introduced to Speedwriting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and I tried to use it. However, when I was halfway through, I was not able to find the book, so I called it "Half-wit shorthand." At the time, I kept a journal, where I practiced speedwriting as far as I understood it, and I tried to use that at college, but I doubt that I was fast as some people that I have seen that wrote normally.

I just write slowly.

According to that page, I can type about as fast a one can speed-write, but sometimes I have difficulty reading my own handwriting. With speed-writing, I would need to rewrite it later. It only makes sense in context.

Shorthand is much faster than speed-writing, but I had a difficult time writing normally when the time came for it.

I wonder how much better an external microphone would work than my laptop's. I cannot imagine anyone producing music with built-in hardware. I am going to look into dictation programs. If I could hit a key and replay the last ten seconds then I would solve many problems. I might need to finish my notes later, but it should not be that bad.

Syncing my notes and the slides would be great. I know one guy that actually takes notes at the bottom of PowerPoint, although I have forty-one presentations for one class, while all of my notes are in one document.

That isn't the biggest deal, though. I often use the search function from the folder.

Great ideas, guys!