View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,235 Times in 4,661 Posts
134-mph as she sits (my guess)

I'm still dead in the water and thinking things to death.
I brought a HIGHWAY ENGINEERING textbook in the backpack and have enlarged some tables for grade and curve resistance to work with.
Short of allowances for these effects,I ran out a Road Horsepower curve for the T-100,and using a power-train mechanical efficiency of 92%,the useable 138-horsepower balances aero and R-R absorption at a little over 134-mph,as configured at Bonneville.
To reach this speed would require a long,level,smoothly-paved stretch of highway,say at Daytona Beach;on a calm,dry,60-degree F day.
And the truck would have to be geared for 4,900-5,000 rpm in 5th-gear,as well as redo the whole aero kit in carbon-fiber epoxy pre-preg.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 131 mph Peugeot 405 Mi16 is lighter by 600- pounds,but its CdA is 6.02 sq-ft,compared to 4.628 sq-ft for the T-100,and as drag varies almost arithmetically with weight,but varies geometrically with CdA, the truck edges out the notchback for an overall advantage of both speed and fuel economy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Road Load curve I got the brake-horsepower,and by dividing that into the fuel mass (gallons X 6.00894 LB/Gallon) per distance ended up with 0.39516 LB/HP-HR BSFC,which at 116,000 Btu/gallon net heating value gives a thermal efficiency of 33.3% which is in close agreement for other engines produced by Toyota.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the 33.3% thermal efficiency,and absorbing 1/3rd of the heat flux coming off of the brake-horsepower at 75 mph cruising,the cooling system is over-sized by a factor of 2.68X which explains why the severe grille-block accomplished at Bonneville never really impacted the cooling system.(Which again,goes way back to "Crisis-Fighter Pinto" of March,1974)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like Hucho's CdA/Top-Speed table.I have high confidence in it.The caveat for those of us in the United States and maybe Canada,is that we've got to ascertain our vehicles actual top speed in stock form to use Hucho's table.
Engineers are using gearing as a governor to limit top speed,and it's mandatory that we know true terminal velocities before we can use the 30%/10% benchmark.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll spend some time with the 'new' 1971 tables and see where they go.
With the enormous radii of interstate highway curves,and 'as flat as possible' gradients,I may not have suffered too much a penalty through the mountains.Don't know.
So far,the drag seems close to what the 'Template' would predict.
It will be interesting to see if the 'stinger' shows up on the radar screen.I think I could finally break over 40 mpg on the 'easy' road portions.That would be a hoot!