View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #260 (permalink)
a8ksh4
B.O. Zen

Pickup - '99 Toyota Tacoma 2wd, Regular Cab, Short Bed
90 day: 34.62 mpg (US)
I was wondering about that this evening, too. I had to take it off the truck without nay help today and it's light enough to just pick up and carry. The bathroom scale shows that it's about 44lbs.

I still need to do a second coat of fiberglass and filler/primer/paint on the outside, add the front window lexan and the side comparment door, and attach misc. mounting hardware, but maybe the whole thing will be ~60 lbs?

for the first time, I'm sitting inside this thing, drinking a beer, and working on the laptop. This is cool. I'm finally seeing some results!

Random fiberglass learnigns:
* Round all convex edges/corners and smooth out transitions between parts wherever possible. Any kind of caulking is great for this.
* Fiberglass can be pushed into sharp corners as long as there is at least 1/2 inch of flat surface on either side of the corner. Any less, and it wants to bubble off of the flat edges.

For example, this transition was easy to lay the cloth into/across:

But this one was really difficult. The "shelf" the the glass has to transition over is only 1/4" wide, here, so there isn't enough stickyness on the 1/4" to keep the glass stuck into the corner and from bubbling out on the vertical surface below:

If I did it again, I might hit any transitions like this with a belt sander and smooth them out.