View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #90 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

Those seem to be pretty sweet lil speakers sendler, TBH I've not found anything I'm really happy with insofar as sound (low tone/bass). The above are simply inexpensive PC speakers ($25 I think?), the annoying thing is they're 9v AC - which is a touch odd & unfortunately means while they've very low power demands I still need an inverter to power them, which ofc means a loss of efficiency.

I've had very similar PC speakers that were 12v DC (wall adapter), but I've been unable to find them again - I'm sure they're still commonplace but they never print on the box what the actual voltage requirements are, so I've stopped looking for now & will most likely remove the internal amplifier from the above speakers (I've two sets) and power them with this instead: LP-2020A Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier ...which while extremely inexpensive is actually quite good for what it is, it's no powerhouse - but it hasn't any perceivable signal distortion and is quite tolerant of over driving with a self-resetting breaker, RCA and/or 3.5mm (headphone jack/MP3) inputs with separate bass, treble & volume controls.

The only catch? I've not yet found a crossover wee enough for such a system... the one for the PC speakers is built into the board ofc, but it's a project in progress lol