View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
96vtec
EcoModding Lurker

Smaller battery closer to the starter = weight savings?

I tried doing a search and couldn't find much regarding this subject so please bear with me if this has been answered previously.

After having replaced the battery in my portable jump starter, and later making a motorcycle battery work in my Miata, I began to wonder if anyone has come up with this idea.

So we all know that smaller batteries put out much less cranking amperage and we also know that longer and thinner gauge wiring will decrease cranking amperage. So in that sense, if you were to solder a 2 gauge welder's cable to a smaller motorcycle battery's terminals, you would have the best connection possible. Now if you were to limit each cable to maybe one foot from the battery to the starter, you would have maximum potential cranking amperage (without having the battery bolted on the starter).

Just curious as to whether or not anyone had tried such a mod. I understand that the car would most likely go dead if the radio or lights were left on for a small duration of time but you could always carry a small jump starter in the trunk with you.