View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
skypig
EcoModding Lurker

Please arcosine, tell me where you found a $25.00 5 wire wideband o2 sensor.

As far as having an O2 sensor, I guess it's an emissions and fuel economy thing. Appears that the O2 sensor was used to put the engine into lean burn mode. There is an ECU that the signal goes to and this changes some magical vacuum line to adjust the air into the carb. There are no manual adjustments for air/fuel mixture.

You are right though, it does not need the O2 sensor to run. This car runs really well. I have not had it on the road enough to be able to determine MPG since I cannot legally drive it until I pass smog. But in testing it around the streets and a couple of freeway tests, this thing runs great!

After my first smog check I did find the timing was quite advanced, but I find it hard to believe that just adjusting the timing is going to make enough difference to bring my NOX levels down to California legal standards. I realize I may need to put a cat converter on this as well, but I would rather get it running to specs before I throw that at it to try to get it to pass.

If I need to use a manually controlled wideband O2 controller to get the correct fuel mix, so be it, but I am hoping to get more definitive information from people that have actually dealt with some of these things. This is my first dealing with any type of Honda, and all of my carb experience is either pre ECU and O2 sensor, or small engine applications. There are so many folks here with so much more knowledge than I have so I want to try to take advantage of that and go into this armed and hopefully less dangerous than I already am.

If someone knows how to get it to pass CA smog without the O2 sensor working, I'm all ears.