View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
A step toward completely off grid!

Hello! We just purchased 5.6kW of solar panels for our place in Arizona. They are B quality panels, but still test at full power. It's 20 of them at 280watts each. I'm also basically done with the inverter. I just need to bolt it all together and try it out. I'm also going to get grid tie working. gasp... Oh no, not that. LOL. Sorry, the solar power forums are very "the proletariate shant discuss such things. Far to complicated! You are banned!!!" I'm not sure a good way to test it out yet, but I don't think it'll be very hard.

So, here's the plan! First, get them mounted on the ground. I've got lots of space in my back yard, and no obstructions for the sun. I could do it on the roof, but I don't want to alter it at all. I'm going to hook them up to power my shop at first, and then run a 110v extension cord to power a few isolated things at the house. Then, once I figure out the dang laws, which are not at all easy to understand in my area, We'll try to go off grid completely. My electric company charges like $30/month just to have it turned on, even if I don't use it. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures of the process.

bennelson (05-16-2013), thingstodo (05-19-2013), UltArc (05-21-2013)