View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #628 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltanbod View Post
I like your hydraulic recapture idea. I have done some research on the subject in hopes of one day incorporating that concept into my car when I get the prototype on the road.It seems to have a much greater recapture potential than say the EV. Maybe we could share some thoughts?....I have this car.............
Don't limit the concept to just "recapture" of energy when intentionally decelerating. That is just the tip of the iceberg.

If you reduce the power demand at 60 MPH by 50% due to better aero, then you can reduce the powerplant "run time" while maintaining the same constant speed. This is a crucial component of the design, that it can automatically reduce energy consumption by "running the engine: for shorter periods of time (only at peak efficiency) due to better aero or lower rolling resistance tires, etc.

This is an automatic function. Similar to climbing a hill, then shutting the engine off and coasting downhill, for better mileage. In many cases much better mileage. While we can't effectively design every road for the ideal elevation controlled pulse and glide, it is possible to design a powertrain that does exactly that. Any change in average speed, any change in elevation, or any other factor (like headwinds and tailwinds) will automatically result in fuel consuming engine operation changing due to sustained average demands, which are almost always changing.

The end result is you are running the "engine" only enough and only at highest BSFC, to recharge the accumulator. No throttle control of the engine is necessary and the engine can be redesigned to only produce power at highest efficiency in a very specific range of RPM.

The system requires ultra high efficiency in every component as well as the lowest number of components to reduce the cumulative energy losses. In regeneration that is wheel, conduit, accumulator, conduit, wheel. In engine produced acumulator replensihment, it's engine, pump, conduit, wheel.

I know of no way to lower those steps while porducing precisely the power necessary directly at the wheels that drive the vehicle.

regards
Mech