View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recumpence
EcoModding Apprentice

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Opinion on wheel discs for Ford C-Max

Hey Guys,

I am at 20,000 miles on my C-Max and averaging in the high 50s mpg (around 56mpg most days). I love this car!

So, I am beginning the aero mods. First on the list are wheel discs. I have looked on-line for pizza pans and have found some nice looking spun/brushed aluminum pans that should be ideal. The two questions I have for you guys are;

#1 My rims are 18.5 inch at the lip. Should I go with 19 inch pans and allow that extra 1/4 inch all the way around to just overhang the rim edge or should I go with 18 inch discs and let the edge of the rim show?

#2 What would you say would be the best method to attach them? My rims are forged aluminum with 15 spokes. If these were cheapo rims, I would just drill and tap holes into them at high strength areas. But, this is a brand new car with expensive OEM rims. So, I want input from you guys about the best way to go about this.

Oh, also, the car has a belly pan that covers most of the underside. However, from the rear wheels to the rear bumper, it is totally open (Jimmy Hoffa could fit up there) Anyway, I am going to TIG an aluminum frame together to hold Coroplast there to complete the belly pan. I am hoping for 1mpg gain there and another 1.5 or 2mpg with the discs. Of course, who knows what gains I will see until I try?

Matt