View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #50 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Apologies for dragging this thread from the deep again, I'd forgotten I'd posted here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Antony, I read your Carbuzz review when it first came out and remember thinking it was balanced.

You can pretty easily find Mirage owners who agree with the suspension criticism. (The aftermarket is already producing braces, coil spring and stabilizer bar kits specifically for the car.) And underlining how subective this all is, you can also find owners who are thrilled with the car's compliant ride and feather light steering.
Thanks Darin, glad to know my words are reaching the other side of the pond

I'd actually be intrigued to test a Mirage with tweaked suspension, because I suspect there's a good car sitting on that poorly-optimized suspension.

A very light car certainly - to me it seems odd that they went to all that effort to make one of the lightest and most aerodynamic vehicles in its class, and then sort of gave up with the chassis tuning!

The steering is a blessing and a curse. In city driving it felt great, but it was a different story when some quicker corners appeared. Of course, not many owners will throw it around as much as a journo on a launch...

There is some good news though, which it seems I neglected to mention before. The economy I got from it subsequently seems pretty similar to the EPA figures knocking around the internet - and I was making no specific effort to be economical. So I reckon it'll be one of those cars that most people find easy to get good mileage from.