View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My friends son sent 7000 text messages in a month. His dad got a $600 bill for the cell phone. I asked the kid how long it took him to do a text message, about a minute.

Thats about 110 hours of texting a month, almost 3 weeks of potential (assuming he worked) work time wasted. The kid had worked 3 months from age 18 to 21. I missed 3 months in 30 years between jobs.

Same kid just got out of Marine Corps boot camp, maybe the Jarheads got his head on straight. He did real good and gained 24 pounds in basic training.

Been close to several head ons here with young women texting while driving with half of their car in my friggin lane, on a road with a ditch barely 18 inches from the pavement!

Yeah Metro, I've refined my situational awareness over almost 50 years driving and riding cars, bikes, and motorcycles, but the head ons are the hardest to anticipate.
As Johnny Cash sang "I keep my eyes wide open all the time". I could probably get hit in the rear end several times every day I drive or ride, had a full sized truck two car lengths behind me on my bike today in a 55 zone, when I was going 50. A twist of the throttle and 65 MPH left the Moron behind, gas mileage be damned.

regards
Mech