Thread: Starter motor
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Both my current Honda civic with 234,000 miles and my old Honda civic with 280,000 miles have original starters, my room mates car, a Saturn had a new starter put in at 150,000 miles, I've loaned my Saturn repair manual to a handful of other people to replace their starters, same with Volkswagen's because their starter has a design flaw in it that causes a single wire to burn out.
So yes, the more you use a starter the more wear it gets, but each design and make of starter is going to have it's own issues that is going to give it more or less a set number of times it can be used, for some this may be 5,000 time for others this may be 50,000 times and there are people who EOC so much that they kill their battery because it never charges and it''s turning the starter over 50 times in a single day, for them a starter that is going to last 50,000 uses will only last 2-3 years while it would last me decades.
I don't like turning my engine off unless I get to coast at least half a mile and a mile is more likely and I don't like using my starter if I don't have to because of the added wear to the battery that you get as well.