View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #70 (permalink)
artificer
EcoModding Lurker

I love trailers, and I try to convince people that its better to get one, rather than a big truck. Most of them resist, since its like getting a Harley... they don't need one, but it looks cool.

We have 6 trailers that go from light weight/small to the teardrop style, and up to the skid steer trailer. Each one has its uses. The two that get the most use are the 4x8 2K utility trailer, and the 4x8 teardrop. Both of these get pulled with the VW Jetta TDI, and both have 20-30k miles on them. Need a few sheets of plywood, sheetrock, or foam? Jetta pulling the utility trailer is the ticket. Need to move pallets of bricks, concrete, or longer material? Thats another story. Using our F250 diesel truck with the big trailer to haul a tractor or skidsteer is great. But... its a beater truck. Hauling the 20' 2x8's with the teardrop trailer and Jetta was "interesting."

I've heard it a bunch of time... I need a big, bad diesel truck to tow with or haul heavy loads. The people then never do what they say, but keep paying for the low mpg. You can argue all you want, but you'll never convince them to do something different, until fuel prices get to European levels.

One legitimate argument for a truck over a trailer is the ability, or should I say inability, to back up a trailer. My mom is a case in point. She had rental property, and bought a big box truck to haul things around. I told here that she could haul rolls of carpet in a trailer behind a car or small pickup, but she refused. She can't back up a trailer, and is unwilling to learn. Next door neighbor is the same way: he can't back up a trailer, even though he has a small utility trailer for his Subaru. His solution is to always drive forward, or use his garden tractor to back it into place.

This is a good thread, but I think its preaching to the choir. Another option is to get a beater truck. If you have a hybrid car, they tend not to have a tow rating. Along with having a small trailer for the car, I'm also a firm believer in having a second vehicle IF you need to haul a lot. A reliable beater truck with a full size bed costs more than a trailer, but it hauls more, especially if you put the trailer behind it.

I can understand people with problems not knowing how to drive with a trailer, but the ones that insist on getting a big new 4x4 pickup with diesel engine, just in case they need to use it is silly. Then they add 4 doors/crew cab, since they need haul their kids around... For the $30-$60k they spent, they could have a hybrid for daily driving, and older pickup to haul with, and a good trailer. But then again... its not as impressive looking as a redneck Cadillac. (4x4, 4door 1 ton diesel pickup with all the luxury features, just to haul a rowboat around)

As an aside: has anyone noticed that American cars don't have fold down seats in the back, while European cars do? My VW's back seat is almost always down, and I can carry 10' wood/pvc pipe, etc. with no problems. Not a lot of the material, but I mostly only need a stick or two, so taking the truck is a major waste. I guess the truck mentality is REALLY ingrained in the American way of life.

Michael
The Following User Says Thank You to artificer For This Useful Post:
gone7 (05-09-2013)