Thread: Starter motor
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
songman
In the slow lane

Civic Type R - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
Though it does sound patronizing, please understand we're all pretty big on driving awareness in all its forms. In my opinion, eco-driving encompasses many points, including greater spatial and situational awareness than other drivers exhibit.

For you to phrase your sentence the way you did, it almost makes it sound like you are trying to legitimize looking at your phone while driving, and this is what JRMichler was addressing. I don't think anyone here wants to get bogged down in semantics, we just don't want another distracted driver on the road either!

So please understand why you were addressed that way and carry on!

Fair play to you. Spatial awareness is a given, as you cannot EOC without it or you'll wind up in intensive care, to say nothing of keeping sensible distance in traffic queues to avoid stop-start; and actually, many other considerations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
there are people who EOC so much that they kill their battery because it never charges and it''s turning the starter over 50 times in a single day,

50 doesn't actually seem to be all that excessive to me. I usually do a minimum of eight restarts, and that's on a total of an only 16 miles' round trip. Each coast is at least half a mile, some quite a bit longer.

So is the general consensus that the best way to restart the car after EOC, and obviously enough not from stationary, is a bump with clutch release and not the starter?

One other thing I learned is that you cannot do this with headlights on. I had assumed that since the battery recharges the lights, a thirty seconds' coasting run followed by engine recharge would not cause any trouble. I was wrong, I killed my battery eventually and ground to a halt at a roundabout. I'm aware that puts me at risk of another "irresponsibility" jibe, but I genuinely assumed the battery recharge would more than compensate for the short headlight drain. It occurred to me subsequently that I could have tried a bump, as I was still moving.

Oh, and here's a pet peeve while I'm at it: There's one lovely long hill I always EOC down. It's preceeded by a flat which is dual, merging to single carriageway for the descent. Everyone else does the following: they drive like maniacs on the approach to the descent, apparently desperate to get in front of whoever's in front of them. Then they arrive at the descent and slam the brakes on, followed invariably by pottering down this great long hill in an absolute nose to tail line, brake lights flashing and usually interupting my EOC as I end up catching up and having to brake. Every single time I think, why not approach at a modest speed, then carry on with the descent in the same way? They don't have to EOC, or even in neutral but on, just take the approach sensibly and not have to then take the descent nose to nail. Wild acceleartion followed by braking is just profits to the oil giants, and a total road nuisance generally.