View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
nekolai
EcoModding Lurker

Mac Daddy - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 35.2 mpg (US)

Electric Slide - '10 Toyota Prius IV
90 day: 50.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
I know everyone here loves the Prius, and I get why, but if *I* were going for a hybrid, it'd be a first-gen Insight with a manual transmission. They're pretty rare, but you can get into the 70's without too much effort. Prius's can't touch that without some mods.

Of course, the Insight's a 2-seater, and the Prius isn't.

If you're looking for something economical, but not super-expensive that can get you in the low 40s without engine-off coasting, you might consider a car like mine. Seats 4 adults very comfortably, and though it's not a looker, it's certainly good on gas.

P.S. My car cost me $13k with 29k miles on it.

EDIT: This is assuming you are in the market for a new car.
If not, partial grille blocks, larger tire spats, rear wheel skirts, side skirts, smooth hubcaps (can even be made out of coroplast), belly pan, and antenna delete should get you pretty far.
It'll be especially easy if you're not overly worried about appearances. I mean come on, the Neon's got 140k on it, it's not brand new.
If you are the type that carries hand-wipes in your glovebox to clean blemishes off the car on the go, it might not be for you.

Keeping a fuel log will be a good way to track your progress. I'm hoping to start modding soon, mine will be a good indicator into their overall efficacy, above and beyond the testing I plan on.

</rant>, happy ecomodding!

~Matt
Very constructive reply, thanks for the advice that I was specifically seeking. I'll probably make another thread after searching a bit on new(used) car contemplation. I was considering even a Chevrolet Spark yesterday, and started looking at those; nice for the price, that's for sure. The main thing I like about those Prii is that battery. That is the most fun for me while being incredibly efficient. (Granted it was the on-board computer) I was able to pull 70-80 mostly with the 2010 Prius test drive yesterday on the freeway/city driving, no faster than 55. Those mods are something I will definitely consider, as like you said, it's not new. Anything I modify on it will only turn heads in a positive fashion I'm sure. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with a manual, as I've never owned a manual trans car. (I know xD) As for that insight, I'll go do some researching on that real quick.

Thanks!