View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
ciderbarrel
MPG is not linear police

Ciderbarrel's P*2 - '22 Polestar 2
90 day: 108.13 mpg (US)

Ciderbarrel's Civic - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.56 mpg (US)
Talking Just got a 89 Civic HB

I just picked up a 89 Civic hatch, 4 speed manual. It is raining on and off here, so pics will have to come later. The body is in great shape. Driving a 4 speed is...different. I kept trying to throw it into 3rd at 20 MPH and it just wasn't having any part of that. Odd that it gets better mileage than the 5-speeds. Fueleconomy.gov has the 4-speeds at 29/35 and 5-speeds at 27/33. Taller gearing?

I was wondering where should I begin with the ecomodding? Since it is so old, there is no ODB, nor a tach, so I'll have to do fuel calculations by hand. Maybe invest in that MPGuino in the future? I don't know much about it other than it exists.

I do need to get the throttle looked at because it will stick slightly and I'll have to blip the throttle or put my foot under the pedal to clear it. That is going to literally waste gas until I fix it. I'm 99% sure I'm going to have to take it to a shop because I don't know where to begin to fix it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the help.

This car will be doing all my short trips around town, compared to the 4.6L Mustang, I should save a fair bit of gas in the long run.