View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Actually, my engine already has an intake throttle, but I've disabled it. Originally the engine used the intake throttle to pull more EGR (by increasing pumpling loses) and also to briefly make the engine run rich to regenerate the NOx adsorber. I got rid of both the EGR and the NOx adsorber a long time ago, so I don't need the intake throttle adding intake restriction. Also, the software I used to disable the EGR did not disable the intake throttle, so it needed to be mechanically disabled, otherwise I'd let out puffs of smoke when it would go into it's rich modes. The intake throttle was orignially used to lessen the shutdown shake, however, the shake doesn't hurt anything--the 5.9L Cummins engines never had one and shutdown the same way.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using an intake throttle to kill a diesel by itself. Sure, it may kill the engine, but the engine may still add fuel--it just may not have much air to burn with.

And just to be clear, I'm perfectly fine with the way I'm running now--I just wanted to warn other that there may be some benefit to not turning the kill switch back on right away.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html