View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
ciderbarrel
MPG is not linear police

Ciderbarrel's P*2 - '22 Polestar 2
90 day: 108.13 mpg (US)

Ciderbarrel's Civic - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.56 mpg (US)
When I start it, it will rev up for a bit (3-4 seconds) then down. It is a little hard to start. It will crank for about a second. It just seems like a long time because I'm used to my Mustang just firing right up. It has only been occassionally driven over the last 2 years, according the the previous owner.

I will be getting tags tomorrow, so I've just taken it around my neighborhood tonight (my road is a side street, off a side street, of a side street and it isn't a cut through to anywhere. 0% chance of cops.) and sometimes when I let off the gas to shift, it is still revving like I didn't step off at all.The guy I bought it from drove it to my place, taking on the DC beltway just at the start of rush hour, on his tags.

I am 100% sure it is the TB or cable. This isn't a totally pressing matter because in Maryland I can register it as a Historic Vehicle (20+ years or older and not substantially modified. I also will pay less insurance and tag renewal fees as well. I think I will put on 3000 miles a year. Max. It has 155,xxx already) and there is no new-title inspection required. Just pay for the title transfer, tax, tags and go. It does limit how often I can drive it (like highway usage) but it is my around town car.

I plan on getting a full inspection in the future and hopefully being able to fix everything on my own if anything fails inspection. If it passes/I get it to pass, I would consider switching my tags to normal car tags, so I won't have driving restrictions. I knew what I was getting into buying a 24 year old car (my GF was 7 when it was built -- EEP!) and that I'll have to DIY for a bit. Having the bike and another car, I feel confident that if I fudge something up, I still have wheels to make it to the parts store.

The head/tail lights and rims are all new. It has some very used racing seats for the front and a racing style steering wheel. Tire treads look good. I'll over-inflate by about 10% over max sidewall. I'm going to do a full oil change and change out the battery, just so I know it is fresh. It had a new paint job in the last 2 years. It is a dark plum-y with metal flakes. Matches the flakes I have in my Mustang (Mineral Grey).

It is at about 1500 lbs lighter than the Mustang (1940 vs 3480) and it feels like it. It is what, 70 HP(?), but it moves pretty well considering. It reminds me of my first bike, late 90s 250 Ninja. Despite the low power, it had decent pep. Where I plan to drive this Civic, I will face 25-45 MPH limits, so the lack of power doesn't concern me. Who knows, maybe in 5 years (if I had the cash) I would just do an engine/tranny swap, for a VTEC, that all the kids are doing these days.

And if money were no object, I'd just rip out the engine and fill the hatch full of batteries and go full EV, but alas...