View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetwo View Post
I drive a Dodge Dart Rallye edition now. Dodge has since changed things so the Rallye is only an appearance package that can be added but mine was an actual Rallye edition so it came with a lot of bells and whistles, minus the TFT display in the dash.

My real world fuel economy isn't that great, not by hypermilers standards anyway. Sure, it'll get 35 on the highway with moderate care being taken (and obviously a bit more if you are super conservative). In other words staying at 60 to 65, being careful to never jackrabbit, bleeding off speed on hills and just generally staying steady as you go, the basic stuff we all know.

City driving is where you loose it all though. I easily see my averages drop from low to middle 30's in highway driving to low to middle 20's in traffic and city driving.

The Aero versions are actually more expensive than my Rallye was (sticker price) and the best things they have going over the others are: a lower ride height, LLR tires with somewhat frugal wheel covers and it only comes in a 1.4 liter turbo (manual only I think). The 2 liter and 2.4 aren't ever going to do better than the 1.4 all things being equal.

I've had some frugal cars in my time, including most recently a Honda CR-Z but the Dart not only betters that car in FE but easily doubles it on the fun factor. 160 horse and 180 torque doesn't sound like a lot but it sure as hell ain't slow. Bottom line, if you drive it like a V6 you'll get V6 like fuel economy but if you drive it like a 1.4 then yeah, it'll reward you at the pump quite nicely.
So the dart is more efficient than the CR-Z? Did you modify the CR-Z at all? It seems like there is a big after market for it. I look forward to seeing your fuel log

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.