View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #293 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I had smooth discs on my old car. One time to test, I finished a normal commute and checked the brake temperature. I was able to brush, then touch, then grab onto the brake disc. It was barely warm.

Yes, that won't be the case after descending a mountain, but you can use engine braking to help that. If that's a normal situation for your driving, maybe don't cover your wheels. Me? The longest downhill I have around here is about a mile long.

You gotta be smart about your situation. As in most things, It Depends.™
I try to not drive to my parents' house too much, but when I first bought my Forester I made several trips in a row up there and back, up and down mountains, and through canyons. I absolutely hate the idea of burning additional fuel going up a hill, braking down, and then burning more fuel up the next one. I wish that they were perfectly straight, I would feel much better about gaining speed that way, although I would still need to worry about other cars and the highway patrol.

I stay in gear until I have gained too much speed, then I downshift. My car does not do DFCO, I wish that it did, but it only uses as much fuel as when I idle.

I rarely use the brake pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
One could do grill shutters, like on newer cars, that open up with brake light activation (relay clicks on, actuator opens vents) that pipes to the front brakes only. Quite a bit more work, but would be very effective and keep aerodynamics when you need them. Plus, would help you stop a bit better when the vents open!
Is that your next project after converting your Neon?

I would be worried about them catching too much air, since people already lose moon disks.