View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modproductions View Post
I own a 2013 Toyota Matrix.
5 month ago, I did put one of those 12v light on my dash board to indicate if the fan is running. And surprise, the fan is running basicly all the time (95% of the time), even without the grill block.

I read about it and this is what is written in the toyota repare guide:
"The ECM calculates an appropriate cooling fan speed based on the engine coolant temperature, air conditioning switch condition, refrigerant pressure, engine speed, and vehicle speed and sends the signals to the cooling fan ECU to regulate the cooling fan. The cooling fan ECU controls the cooling fan speed based on the duty ratio signal sent from the ECM . By basing its control on the operating conditions , the ECM can control the fan speed optimally using the cooling fan ECU , achieving both high cooling performance and quietness . The cooling fan speed is determined based on the engine coolant temperature, air conditioner operating conditions , engine speed, and vehicle speed."

I'm not able to get what is the rimes or reasons, but the fan if basicly going all the time. Even when the engine is sub Zero cold in winter. Sometime it stop for a few second and start again. It ususaly stop when I'm ideling, but it's only stop for 3-4 second. Sometime with the grill block, the temperature may be as high as 97C (205F) and it stop for a few secs. That ECU make no sens.
My Mitsubishi had a similar type controller, except there was a recall on them. I couldn't get mine under recall as I was not the first owner.
So I built my own with relays and an arduino.
I could have used MOSFETs, by the engineer in me couldn't get my head past headsinking and so I decided a relay would do the trick with a 20 second timebase.
I saw an increase in fuel economy from it.

There's reasons they do run all the time though, including AC usage, plugged radiator etc. If it's ineffective in cooling, then it needs servicing.