View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
nemo
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post

Here's the issue: When I calculate my MPG using the miles driven on my dash display and the gallons used on the gas pump, I average right around 32MPG, but my UG is consistently (like the entire 350+ mile tank) around 40MPG. Because of this, the Miles to Empty is always off along with the AVG. MPG.
Try using multiple tank calibration. Calibrate the gauge as normal at the end of the first tank at the end of the second tank add the gallons used from both tanks and enter, do this for three or four tanks. This should improve the accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Another issue is the 'jumpiness' of the gauges. When I am on CC at 65 (on the dash), the MPH on the UG will usually be 63.4, but sometimes it will jump around to 62.X or up to 64.X. I know it's not a large difference, but what is causing this issue? The same happens for the RPMs as well. Not a large difference, but it is constantly changing, even during idle or cruise. The instant MPG jumps the most, making it difficult for me to determine what speed is the most efficient.

Any ideas on how to fix these little blips? Thanks!
Cruse control will not hold the car at a steady state speed. The actual speed will rise or slow depending on the road, once the predetermine threshold has been exceed the vehicle will be slowed or speed up to compensate, this is normal. The UG is just showing it, you may not have been able to notice the difference depending on the type of speedometer. If you for example electric to analog it may average the change in speed so the needle remains more constant.

It might be beneficial to post the vehicle specifics to assist others in answering your questions. Good idea to start a garage entry. Sorry if I missed the information.

As for number 6 you want to know the block temperature. Coolant temperature is used as the indication of block temperature, but if you want more information an oil temp gauge would be the way to go.