View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fallen Angel
EcoModding Lurker

Alby - '04 Subaru Outback
90 day: 29.29 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fallen Angel
Talking Used Subaru Outback with High Hopes

Hi, all. I've been in Memphis, TN for five years and I'm looking to move out to the Pacific Northwest. I'm a senior software engineer and team lead with experience as an IT Manager and CIO for a 90's startup. It's been a pretty amazing ride overall and when I took a vacation to Oregon, Washington and British Columbia, well, John Denver said it best: "He was born in the summer of his 27th [sic] year, coming home to a place he'd never been before."

With a move to the PNW now considered inevitable, one month ago I bought a 2004 Subaru Outback with a manual transmission. I've been stuck driving automatics for the last 8 years or so, so it's been great having a stick again. I LOVE THIS CAR! I think it's just slightly TARDISlike, being a few dozen cubic inches bigger on the inside than the outside.

I wanted a car with better fuel economy than the 21 MPG the EPA gives the Outback, but I also knew I usually got about 10% better than the old estimates so when I found one I jumped on it. My 3-tank average is 27.97, 33% better than EPA. The third tank was 28.65. I'm delighted with these results and looking forward to breaking the 30 MPG mark!