View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

whats the ideal P&G cycle? best % FE increase?

Having finally gotten over the mental phobia of doing things different, and giving P&G a shot on a recent trip to find an eye widening improvement in fuel usage, i'm starting to get enthusiastic about this...

Assuming a person has rural roads where there's little traffic so you can get away with it, whats the theoretical ideal... get up to the max speed possible then extend the coast as long as possible? Or because of higher speed drag (it doesnt take long to coast down from 75 to 65mph, it takes forever for me to coast from 50 down to 40mph) is it diminshing returns, at least without aero modifications, to go faster than a certain amount? Where even though your starting up sooner, and not coasting as long, you still get better total mileage?

Whats a rule of thumb for the kind of fuel efficiency improvement you can experience? Lets say i'm comparing 55mph steady state to a P&G cycle which will average that same speed, should I have an improvement of 10%? 30%? Is there some handy dandy figure, like try to coast for 30 seconds, or 60 seconds, or at what shorter length of coast is P&G relatively pointless to even do..?

At some level of minor fuel efficiency improvement i'm guessing the additional wear that must happen to either starter or clutch (depending how I restart the engine) kills it, I don't think I would P&G for another 4mpg I mean... do people usually restart with the starter, or clutch, and is there any trick or benefit doing it one way vs the other? I used the clutch to restart but I became uncomfortable with the jerk back up worried I might be injuring something so it was a one time P&G experiment.